A Short History of Honda
Honda Motor Company was developed in 1948 by founders Soichiro Honda and Takeo Fujisawa. They presented their first car, a motorbike, in 1949, the D-type motorbike. One decade in the future, Honda Motor Company Inc. was established in Los Angeles, California, the first overseas subsidiary of Honda Motor Company Ltd. By 1968, the one millionth Honda motorcycle had been sold in the United States. Honda also started producing automobiles in the 1960s; the first car produced was the T360 mini pick-up truck, which went on sale in August 1963, was followed with by the S500 sports car, which went on sale in October 1963. The Honda N600 was the very first car Honda sold in America, beginning in 1969.
Honda co-founder Soichiro Honda had continuously been concerned of the future of our world, especially of accessibility to clear water. In regards to making more fuel efficient vehicles, Honda said, “I do not care if everyone else is making 2 strokes, Honda needs to make four strokes.” In 1973, Honda offered the world’s first fuel-efficient four-stroke marine engines, which were cleaner, quieter, and more affordable than two-stroke engines. The next year, driven by their “Blue skies for our children” effort, Honda released the Honda Civic, which included an innovative CVCC engine that made the Civic the first vehicle to satisfy the requirements of the United States Clean Air Act without the use of a catalytic converter. In 1976, the first Honda Accord was launched, which would become a very popular vehicle in America.
Today’s Honda designs include:
- Honda Civic: Honda’s compact car is one of the globe’s most best-selling vehicles. The Civic was International Vehicle of the Year in 2005 and North American Car of the Year in 2006.
- Honda Fit: The Honda Fit is an entry-level subcompact that flaunts a blocky design, spacious interior, and lay-flat rear seats. The Fit was Top Gear’s 2006 Best Small Car, U.S. News & World Report’s Best Economy Car of 2008, Best Overall Value by Consumer Reports in 2010, 2011, and 2012, and earned many other awards.
- Honda Accord: The Accord is Honda’s midsize family car. The Accord has remained in Car and Driver’s Top 10 listing for the last 31 of 35 years, and also has also been acknowledged as the 2014 Green Car of the Year and the 2018 North American Car of the Year.
- Honda Insight: The Honda Insight is a compact hybrid sedan. The Insight resembles its sibling, the Civic, in wheelbase and also handling, but bests it in fuel efficiency thanks to a two-motor drivetrain. The American Automobile Association awarded the Insight with the Top Commuter Car in 2010. In addition, the Insight was named the Greenest Vehicle of the Year by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- Honda Clarity: The Honda Clearness is Honda’s premium alternative fuel sedan. It is offered as a hybrid plug-in, completely electric, or hydrogen gas cell. In 2009, the Clarity won World Green Car of the Year. BBC Top Gear has called the Clarity the “Most important car for 100 years” and has received the Good Design Award from the Japan Industrial Design Promotion Organization in 2008.
Your Trusted Shop for Honda Repair
As reliable as Honda vehicles are, all vehicles will eventually need to come in for servicing. When the time comes to bring your Honda in for repairs, Lake in the Hills residents can come to SJM AutoWerks. We specialize in Honda repair and can take care of your car, bumper to bumper. A team of highly trained mechanics, we at Lake in the Hills are up to date on the latest automotive technology and will deliver high-quality service, every time. We offer services in vehicle alignment, steering and suspension, transmission repair, and more. Don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us today! You can schedule an appointment online or give us a call at 815-477-9735.